Friday, May 7, 2010

and we're back ...

Sorry for the absence, folks.

Today is significant in the annals of the 2010 garden since I stopped by this morning and gathered all the ingredients for my lunch salad today (red & green lettuce, spinach, dill, cilantro, parsley and oregano).

But things have been moving along in the meantime. I planted six batches of corn and they're starting to come up. I'll follow with some beans either next week or two weeks from now.

I sounded all smug when I said something like "I don't think it will freeze again after April 15." I was barely right. Last week it got damn cold and nearly had frost at night. The tomatoes and eggplants I had carefully grown indoors the last few months? When I came by on Sunday, it looked like they were all goners. I sheepishly made my way to the farmer's market to buy replacements.

"Don't water them!" my garden neighbor (not the mean one) warned me, when I told him what had happened. He was right. After a warm week, I think two out of the four plants might make it. The other two are barely clinging to life, but perhaps there's a chance.

Anyone out there want any dill or mint plants? They're coming up wild. I can even give you a volunteer raspberry plant since I noticed Ed's not just expanding, but apparently spawning as well.

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you are already eating greens from the garden - I'm snipping a few herbs, but my lettuces have been soooo slow to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to comment back so late. I don't seem to receive notices when someone leaves a comment.

    Hopefully you're starting to get some veggies by now. In June it seems the lettuce starts bolting to seed. My advice is to let a couple of plants develop the seeds and gather them. You can just scatter them again in late August or early September for a fall crop. Most of the lettuce I grow now is from saved seeds. I plant way too many. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd follow up by thinning them out later. :-)

    ReplyDelete