Saturday, June 21, 2014

Update: June 2014

Garden is finally in good shape (I think) for the year.

It was a late spring.  There I was, planting a tomato, eggplant, pepper and two basil plants in May simply because it was, well, May.  But the temperatures were still April-ish.  I think the Genovese basil and Early Girl tomato will be fine, despite stunted growth.  The Thai basil, pepper and eggplant look pretty pathetic.  I've got plenty of dried Thai basil, so I'll probably just get another eggplant.  Also a few peppers.

But on the bright side ...

Strawberries were a first this year, and they were successful (and delicious).  Black raspberries are looking awesome, and red are producing, yet have brownish leaves.  Corn is up, beans just planted today, as well as okra and a muskmelon experiment.  As of this hour, the garden is officially weed-free.  Tomorrow that won't be the case, but that's ok.  My little plot is looking pretty nice, neat and fertile.  A neighbor gifted me several tomato varieties I hadn't heard of, and they're now planted and caged.

I made a makeshift deer fence on a small budget.  So far it has worked, even though it looks just as flimsy as it actually is.  I've been eating strawberries and red raspberries, so that's already an improvement over last year.  Wish I'd thought to bring my camera, but today was all about getting caught up!

No comments:

Post a Comment